There are five House of Assembly divisions:
These divisions have the same boundaries as the five Commonwealth House of Representatives divisions for Tasmania.
The Division of Bass takes its name from Dr George Bass (1771-1803), an early settler and explorer.
Bass encompasses an area of the North-East corner of Tasmania (7,497 ㎢). The main centres are the City of Launceston and its suburbs, and the towns of Branxholm, Bridport, Derby, Gladstone, Hadspen, Lilydale, Legana, Ringarooma and Scottsdale. Cape Barren Island, Clarke Island and Flinders Island are also in the division.
The Division of Braddon takes its name from Sir Edward Braddon (1829-1904), Premier of Tasmania (1894-99) and a Member of the House of Representatives (1901-04).
Prior to 1955, Braddon was known as Darwin.
Braddon encompasses an area of 20,826 ㎢ across the West and North-West Coasts of Tasmania, along with King Island. The cities of Burnie and Devonport are in the division. Other major towns include Currie, Latrobe, Penguin, Rosebery, Queenstown, Smithton, Stanley, Strahan, Ulverstone, Waratah, Wynyard and Zeehan.
The Division of Denison takes its name from Sir William Denison (1804-71), Lieutenant-Governor of Tasmania (1847-55) and Governor of New South Wales (1855-61).
Denison is an inner metropolitan division centred in the greater Hobart region (290 ㎢). Denison extends from Austins Ferry in the north to Firthside and Bonnet Hill in the south, from Hobart in the east to Collinsvale in the west. The City of Hobart and the City of Glenorchy are in this division, along with part of the Municipality of Kingborough.
The Division of Franklin takes its name from Sir John Franklin (1786-1847), Lieutenant-Governor of Tasmania (1837-43).
Franklin is an outer metropolitan division covering 6,911 ㎢, and extends from Old Beach in the north to Dover in the south and Seven Mile Beach in the east. The City of Clarence is in the division of Franklin. Other major towns include Blackmans Bay, Cygnet, Franklin, Geeveston, Huonville, most of Kingston, Margate and Snug. Franklin includes Bruny Island.
The Division of Lyons takes its name from the only Tasmanian to be elected as Prime Minister, Joseph Lyons (1879-1939), who was Prime Minister between 1932 and 1939 and his wife, Dame Enid Lyons (1897-1981). Dame Enid was the first female member of the House of Representatives and was also the first female cabinet member, when she was elected in 1943 and appointed in 1949 respectively.
Prior to 1984, Lyons was known as Wilmot.
Lyons is a large rural division of 33 212 ㎢ covering much of the State from Port Sorell and Beaconsfield townships in the north to New Norfolk and the Tasman Peninsula in the south. It also includes the northern Hobart suburbs, Bridgewater and Gagebrook. Other main towns include Bicheno, Bothwell, Brighton, CampbellTown, Deloraine, Evandale, Fingal, New Norfolk, Longford, Oatlands, Perth, Railton, St Marys, St Helens, Sheffield, Sorell, Swansea, Triabunna and Westbury.